Brand Managers may run a review incentive campaign to encourage their customers to review their product or service. All incentives are required to be compliant with the guidelines set by the ACCC in accordance with the Competition and Consumer Act (2010):
- Incentives are offered equally to consumers likely to be complementary and consumers likely to be critical, and positive and negative reviews are treated the same;
- The reviewer is expressly told that the incentive is available whether the review is positive or negative.
Before proceeding with any review incentive campaigns, in order to be compliant, you must contact ProductReview.com.au by following the procedure for incentive campaigns listed on this page below.
The ACCC guidelines state that where an incentive is offered, it:
“... [must be] prominently disclosed to users who rely on affected reviews.”
To satisfy this condition, a message will be placed on top of your listing with this notice, similar to the one displayed below:
“(Company) is offering (incentive) to their customers to encourage them to write a positive or a negative review between (date) and (date).
It is possible that reviews were written by customers who received such a reward, and may explain a higher volume of reviews. Any incentive must be equally offered to both positive and negative reviews.”
These notices have not resulted in a decrease in brand reputation, reviews, or page views for any of the listings where the message is displayed. Alongside maintaining compliance, these notices help create towards your brand a positive impression of credibility and transparency among our members who rely on ProductReview to assess products and services.
Procedure for incentive campaigns
Starting a campaign
- Ensure that you have processes in place that any incentives are offered equally to positive and negative reviewers.
- Email the Brand Management Platform support channel (email@example.com) with the following information:
- Type of incentive (eg. product, store credit, gift card)
- Individual $ value of incentive
- Terms of incentive (one for each review, competition, etc.)
- Duration of the campaign - indicate whether it will be run indefinitely, otherwise provide a start/end date.
- Our Content Team will process your request, verify that your incentive meets review incentive guidelines, and place your incentive message on your listing(s). You will receive a reply once this is done.
During a campaign
- Any incentive messages will be placed, at a very minimum, for the duration of the incentive period.
- For listings where incentivised reviews contribute a significant portion of a listing, the message will remain indefinitely.
Concluding a campaign
- Email the Brand Management Platform support channel (firstname.lastname@example.org) when concluding or modifying your campaign.
- Incentive messages will still remain on a listing until the number of incentivised reviews falls below that of reviews that did not receive an incentive.
If businesses do not inform ProductReview of incentive campaigns they are running, we reserve the right to place a notice above listings. This is done if we have evidence to support that incentives are being offered.
Our platform & processes detect non-compliant campaigns. In line with our Incentivised Review Policy, any undisclosed, filtered, or unequal incentivised campaigns will be reported to the ACCC, with all associated reviews immediately removed.